Monday, 23 March 2009

Spinning a Yarn

My weekend has been filled with creative delights, despite Wales narrowly missing out on the 6 Nations Championship. On Saturday afternoon I visited the Bedfordshire Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers and took along my drop spindle in the hope of getting a bit of expert tuition, as I'm still trying to master the technique. Everyone was very welcoming and very helpful and I also met Maggie Stearn who has her website here and blogs here. She weaves and hand dyes her silk yarn to make some beautiful scarfs and shawls - check out her work on flickr here. I also met Jenny Dean and told her of my plans for the allotment and she offered to bring me a piece of Madder to plant in my plot, as well as lending me this spindle to try out.


It's an Iranian spindle and has less of a wobble than mine. ...so should be easier to spin with.
On the spinning front I feel I'm slowly improving...can you see ?

My very own ball of wool...

I feel very proud ...it's ideal for freeform crochet due to the texture I have created whilst spinning .....


....well , if I'm truthful, that's more to do with the fact I'm a novice and haven't perfected the art of "drafting"....teasing my fibre uniformly before spun , in order to produce a yarn that could be called double knit, lace weight or aran......

I would say mine would be an aran,double knit, lace weighted slub yarn....

...but at the end of the day it's perfect for what I need !

And my mother's day present ?

A year's membership to the Guild....I'm not sure if my family realise what they've let themselves in for !