Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Inspiration

I have always found the seashore a creative inspiration. It doesn't matter where I am, if there is a beach I have always had the urge to beachcomb. From a very young age, I've had little interest in candyfloss, ice creams and sandcastles. What has always interested me most about this environment has been smooth sea polished pebbles, exotic shells, pieces of driftwood , seaweed , rockpools and fossil finds. My girls have inherited this love for the sea and its shore....consequently we have many "seaside collections" dotted around in boxes big and small filling our tiny cottage. The beaches in Norfolk have therefore always beckoned me with excitement , and so no visit to a Seaside Hideaway is complete without a few hours spent combing the beach for magical finds, drawing and photographing for inspiration. My recent treasures collected included......

Pebbles for tumbling....


Seaweed for drawing.....Fossils for identifying.... And shells for admiring.....


What I find most exciting about the seashore, sea and its landscape is the ease in which crochet can be used to interpret all that it inspires. Crocheted bullions make for ammonites and other exotic shells, trebles and doubles crocheted together make for seaweed, hyperbolic techniques translate easily into coral, anemones and underwater landscapes. Hairpin lace provides watercolour like backgrounds .


So, now I am back home...the furthest point in-land from the sea, and yet , although being so far away from this inspiration, I still have my drawings, photographs and memories , but best of all ,of course, I have my hook and my scumbles.......