Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Sock Yarn & Tagging

Hello lovely readers,
So sorry that I have not posted much but there have been a few things in the last week that have needed my attention ..you know, the usual things that small children, home , summer holidays and family life can bring. However, having spied that it is in fact a week since I last posted any thing I thought I would give a sneek peek of some WIP's. You may remember that August was the month for "me crochet" however, to date most of my time has been taken up with crocheting "important fashion items for the winter ," ....well this was how the eldest mini hook and scumbler phrased the neeeeeed for some all important new hat, gloves and a scarf.


As you may recall from previous posts, my eldest does seem to have an eye for colour and design, and obviously"any old crochet gloves will just not do!"



So, the brief was as follows:

  • Fingerless


  • Colourful


  • Able to convert into mittens


  • Ruffles

So, we found some yarn whilst on holiday....Regia 6 ply sock wool , 75% wool mix ,machine washable - ideal, snuggly warm and small children friendly !

Here it is:I'm using a 3.5mm hook and my favourite stitch of all time the htr. I have ruffles at the wrist and picot edgings at the fingers.
This photo was actually taken whilst in Norfolk, so I have managed to make a start on the second glove too.

Moving on from crochet now. On returning from holiday I found Lucy had tagged me ..which requires me to find a book, find page 161, and quote the fifth sentence down . I think when Lucy tagged me it was probably"with tongue in cheek"...as she knows that I have very few fictional novels ( actually the few I have were bought by Lucy!) my Library falls into 6 main categories : Crochet, Sewing, Gardening & Allotments, Foraging, Preserving & Seasonal Cookery. So,with that in mind I will turn to P161 of the book that was consulted this evening, namely The River Cottage Handbook No.2 "Preserves" by Pam Corbin . In context this was following a rather large harvest of plums picked on our allotment this afternoon. And I quote "Another advantage of bottling is that the fruit is ready and waiting to be used at any moment"...really quite appropriate !