Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Freestylin'

I've been meaning to have a go at freestyle machine embroidery for a while. It's a technique I used quite alot...about 20 years ago, and I got, though I do say so myself,  to be quite good.

So for the last few months, I've been trying to remember how to drop my dog feed on my machine. My machine is about 12 years old, and it was one of the first things I bought after I was married. I knew I would have bought a machine that had this feature, but having lost the manual, I just could not remember how to drop the dog feed. This weekend I  woke up remembering exactly what to do ..perhaps it's just old age .. so I found my darning foot ( at least I remembered where that was !) , dusted  it off  and got started.

I'd forgotten that it takes a while to get used to this technique, so quite a few practice samples were made using odds and ends from my fabric stash.  Having said that  however, one of practice pieces  will come in handy in adorning Mr Hook & Scumble's homemade valentine's card....
...but I think I'll need to practice some more before I apply some freestyle to one of my felt and crochet pieces !