Friday, 19 February 2010

Turquoise


For some reason, no matter how hard I try, I continue to be drawn to the colour and shades of turquoise.
There is something vibrant about this colour that inspires me.
The varied shades and yarns available in this palette have resulted in several recent works.
I was also interested to read here that I'm not the only one who thinks that Turquoise will be making a statement this year, which is a relief as I think there will be many more pieces to follow using this shade of blue.


This wearable piece of textile art is inspired the Jurrasic Coastline of Dorset where many a family holiday has been spent fossil hunting. The work represents the explosion of marine life seen during this period where ammonites were plentiful. Today,after a storm  as the shore line is eroded the marine life of this period is slowly revealed and can be collected as fossils.
Hyperbolic & Freeform crochet techniques are used to depict ammonites and coral found in abundance during this pre-historic era