Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Niddy Noddy

Well, for some time I have been intrigued by this piece of kit used by spinners, but alas ,despite all the hints I have dropped since my birthday last year I was still without and hadn't done enough spinning to actually justify buying one myself.

You may remember here, that one of my goals for this year was to hand spin enough yarn to dye...and from my research, reading and attendance at my local Guild.. a Niddy Noddy is required  in order to wind my skeins of handspun yarn to set the twist on my singles and prepare for dyeing. I may sound like I know what I'm talking about,but believe me, it's been a steep learning curve !

I have a new whole insight into the amount of work it takes to produce a ball of handspun yarn, and am in greater awe of the fact that prior to industrialisation this technique was the only way in which yarn would have been prepared for knitting , crocheting or weaving into garments - just amazing.

So, finally  I have got to the job and have been using my Turkish drop spindle rather regularly.

In fact...can you see ?

'm nearly ready to wind my first skein , which requires this...


my very own niddy noddy...all I need to do now is work out how to use it !