Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Crochet Art

Just recently I have been looking at ways in which to push the boundaries of my work.
So, in order to gain some textile inspiration I decided a visit to the V & A was in order , with the intention of specifically visiting the Quilts Exhibition.

The Exhibition was truly inspiring, and I was particularly taken with the detail of the hand stitching, the materials sourced and used due to difficult times,  as well as the stories behind each quilt. At the end of the exhibition I found myself in the museum shop surrounded by gorgeous vintage inspired fabrics and the desire to make my own heirloom. This, however, was not the main reason for my visit. I wanted to look at how those contemporary  artists exhibiting had used a  traditional textile technique , in this case patchwork,  to inspire their work.

With this in mind I could not  also resist a good hour or so in the museum bookshop and came away with Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain's book - Yarn Bombing , The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti.
The book contains several Artists work who use knit and crochet techniques to make visual statements. 
One of the British Artists featured is Art Yarn who,  co-ordinated the Yarnbombing installation  at The Manchester Craft & Design Centre .  You may remember at the end of last year , I submitted this scrumble for the project.


I have to say, I have been very impressed and inspired with the scale and the impact of the projects Art Yarn has co-ordinated and was flattered when I was asked if I could be featured on the Art Yarn blog -  you can read the article here here.

As for my next piece of work ?

Let's just say I'm thinking bigger, boundary breaking and a little more contemporary...watch this space !