Monday, 23 August 2010

Holiday Hairpin

It's that time of year when I have little time to concentrate on my actual art work, and in between enjoying the summer holidays with the mini Hook and Scumblers I take the opportunity to crochet something just for me.
This something mind you, usually has to be fairly quick off the hook ,so I was pretty taken with the Hairpin lace top in this month's Inside Crochet.




The top is designed by Claire Montgomerie and it takes only 200g of yarn to make and being hairpin lace should crochet up pretty quickly .

So I  bought the yarn ...


Sublime dk Soya Cotton from here

If you've never tried hairpin lace before I'd throughly recommend it - the magazine devotes a whole spread on the technique, as well as where you can get hold of a loom . 


I was fortunate enough a couple of years ago to be bought a handmade loom by Ed Jenkins of Jenkins Woodworking. The loom is  adjustable  and allows you to make wide and narrow strips of the lace. It's a delight to work with, the sort of thing that is sure to last and become a crochet heirloom in this household.

Hairpin lace is a technique that needs a bit of practice to master, but I would really encourage you to give it a go and persist. The results are worth it.



If you are really wanting some further inspiration of what hairpin can achieve take a look at designer Jennifer Hansen's work at Stitch Diva.


I've still got a few strips to make, and then I have to join them, if you want to take a look at what the finished product should take a look here - I'm hoping mine won't be to far behind completion either.

All in all perfect holiday hairpin !