Saturday, 8 February 2014

Fungi Fascination

 I've always been fascinated with the natural world and this usually at some point translates into my freeform work.

Fungi however fascinate me the most and to that end when ever I have spotted anything interesting  a quick sketch is usually done , along with photographs and notes.


I love their hyperbolic curves and gills , 


The patterns they form as they grow,


beautiful....
Yet  I am still a little fearful of this world of fungi, as I cannot claim my knowledge of the fungi world is by any means vast. So I observe, sketch and photograph at a distance and take opportunities to learn with expert Mycologists when I can . Along with my sketches and photographs, my various identification books are an invaluable source to my designs.

So this week, I have been working on various crocheted fungi, some still in progress and some completed. 

Here is a sneak preview of my crocheted Amanita muscaria ,
or as its commonly known Fly Agaric - a  paperweight.
Complete with gills and veil, on a freeform covered pebble, making its way for sale at 
cakestand and crumb for display among vintage wares .