Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Altered Objects with Jessie Chorley

At least once a year I try and attend a workshop as part of my professional development as a Textile Artist.
I find this helps me develop my own work by mixing with like minded creatives as well as gaining some expert tuition.

Last year I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend at West Dean with Julie Arkell - you can read about it here, and waaay back last September I started to hatch a plan to attend a workshop run by Jessie Chorley.
I've long admired her work, have been countless times to London, but never quite made it to her shop in Colombia Road, and it seemed I was miserably failing to have a free weekend that coincided with a workshop she was running ...the answer finally dawned .

I gathered a group of like minded friends , we found a date some where quite far into 2014 and I contacted Jessie directly and before I knew it she was coming to us !

So we spent the day embroidering , altering and being inspired.

Here are a few of Jessie's beautifully embroidered brooches,


one of  her signature journals



Samples of her embroidery work


and all her snippets and vintage goodies for us to use on the day to create
our own altered objects



We  had  a show and tell at the end of the workshop



with some of our own embroidery






My own "in progress" altered journal ...to be used as a travel journal to document this year's travels, thoughts and inspiration ,


You can read Jessie's account of our day together here
and I will give you an update on my journal when completed .
All in all a simply splendid day !